An individual must receive help when experiencing co-occurring diagnoses, such as mental illness and substance use disorder. A recovery treatment center or rehab with a focus on treating these conditions can help you. Most dual diagnosis treatment programs consist of various treatments for those living with both a drug and/or alcohol addiction and a mental disorder. These may include:
- Treatment Plan: All individuals are given a unique, customized plan consisting of medical and therapeutic interventions to assist with mental health symptoms and any personal problems.
- Diagnosis: These help individuals understand their past experiences and create future plans.
- Evaluation: This step is essential to ensure that an individual’s mental health symptoms are diagnosed correctly.
- Medical Detox: This is the first several days to several weeks after the individual has stopped using the substance. Detox provides all individuals with monitoring and support to help with balancing treatment.
- Group Therapy: 12-step groups and groups that look at a particular aspect of addiction are a part of treatment programs.
- Individual Therapy: This is one-on-one therapy, which is known as the “foundation of recovery.” It gives individuals a platform to feel safe to talk about any issues.
- Family Therapy: Working together with the family to restore relationships that have been affected during the addiction phase is essential.
- Aftercare Support/Sober Living: Individuals are encouraged to develop an aftercare plan with a therapist to help them fulfill goals to assist with recovery into independent living.
Individuals should consider specific lifestyle changes to promote wellness and overall health. These are some lifestyle changes that can take place at an integrated recovery treatment program:
- Communication skills improvement
- Sleep habit improvement
- Eating behavior improvement
- Discussion of any chronic medical conditions
- Improving family relationships
- Discussion of any work-related issues
- Legal issue management
In addition to the more well-known mental health disorders, health problems are also essential to treat. Rehabs with a full medical staff can help you manage these conditions as part of your co-occurring disorder treatment, including:
- Heart disease
Do you believe that you or a loved one are suffering from a substance use disorder? Talk to our experienced addiction professionals by calling: (844) 978-1524